Cancer Prevention Tips
Even though the medical field has made tremendous progress, there is still much to discover about cancer. However, we do know that there are several biological and environmental factors that can increase a person’s risk of getting the disease.
To help reduce your risk:
- Do not use tobacco of any kind. Smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer and chewing tobacco can lead to cancer of the mouth or throat.
- Eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Foods from other plant sources such as whole grains and beans have many beneficial qualities as well.
- Eat light, lean foods. High-fat diets may increase your risk of cancer.
- Stay active and maintain a healthy weight. Obesity may be a risk factor for certain types of cancer.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Sun exposure is the most common cause of skin cancer, which is one of the most common types of cancer and also one of the most preventable.
Follow the recommended guidelines for regular cancer screening and self-examinations, which increase your chances of discovering cancer early. Screening should include your skin, mouth, colon and rectum. Men should also include prostate and testes screenings. Cervical and breast cancer screenings should be included for women.
Diet and Cancer
Comprehensive encourages our patients to be as healthy as possible throughout their course of treatment to promote positive outcomes. Each month, we provide a variety of healthy recipes for cancer patients as well as those who are just looking to live a healthier lifestyle. Healthy eating habits along with exercise is one of the most important preventative measures you can take to lower your cancer risk. Click here to view our healthy recipes.
Exercise and Cancer
Exercise is an important part of living a healthy lifestyle. Its even more important when it comes to living healthy during cancer treatment. Good nutrition and physical activity are important for cancer patients. Not only can they improve your quality of life and long-term survival, they can help you reduce your chance of cancer recurrence and better manage side effects from certain cancer treatments. Click here to learn more.
Cancer Prevention through Skin Safety
Comprehensive Cancer Centers is proud to offer free sunscreen to residents and visitors throughout Southern Nevada. We are committed to establishing sunscreen partnerships that aim to preserve the health and well-being of the Las Vegas community by using a proactive approach to preventing unnecessary skin conditions. Click here to learn more.
Beyond prevention, early detection is the next best thing you can do to protect your health. Today, there are a number of procedures and screenings available to assist in the early detection of cancer. For more information about cancer prevention and screening, please talk to your physician.