Breakfast That’s Healthy, Quick and Delicious
Mashed Avocado Toast with Feta and Pepitas
Avocado toast has gained in popularity over the years. This recipe is sure to make any avocado toast lover happy, but also provides some heart-healthy benefits for those looking to change up their diet.
Avocados are rich in vitamins and minerals and in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat while pumpkin seeds are packed with magnesium, zinc, and iron, and rich in a variety of antioxidants.
Makes 1 serving.
1 slice whole grain bread
1/3 avocado, mashed
1 lemon wedge
1 tsp. feta cheese
1 tsp. pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Toast bread.
- Mash up avocado and mix well with lemon juice.
- Top all ingredients onto toast.
Lavender Chai Latte
Lavender adds a floral, herbal taste to many recipes but pairs nicely with this spicy chai. Additionally, chai improves heart health by lowering blood pressure, can reduce blood sugar levels and aids in digestion.
Makes 4 servings.
1 1/2 cups water
1-2 Tbsp. dried lavender flowers
1 chai tea bag
1 Tbsp. agave nectar
1 cup brewed strong coffee
1 cup unsweetened, plain soymilk
- Pour water into small pot and bring to a boil.
- Add lavender flowers and chai tea bag and set aside for about 15 minutes to steep.
- Pour liquid through strainer, squeezing remaining liquid from lavender flowers and chai tea bag, and return liquid to pot. Discard lavender and tea bag.
- Add agave nectar, coffee, and soymilk and reheat, stirring well, just until mixture is hot. Do not boil.
- Pour into 4 coffee cups.
*Adjust the amount of lavender you use based on your taste preference.
**Pure maple syrup may be substituted for agave nectar.
***Reduced-fat dairy or milk alternative of choice may be substituted for soymilk.
Credit: American Institute for Cancer Research: Avocado Toast
Credit: American Institute for Cancer Research: Chai Latte